Hi everyone, it’s Sugar here.  Hard to believe that Thanksgiving and Christmas are just around the corner.  With the holidays come an abundance of delicious food and I thought it would be a great time to remind you that many popular human dishes aren’t healthy for pets to consume. In fact, some foods can be toxic for dogs and cats.  Below are six holiday staple foods that you should avoid giving to your pets, no matter how cute we look at you when we beg. Make sure to inform your family and dinner guests about these potentially dangerous foods so they aren’t tempted to feed them to your four-legged family members when you aren’t looking.

TURKEY BONES — Bones can cause severe indigestion in dogs and cats, potentially causing vomiting and obstructing the bowel. Bones may also splinter and cause damage to the inside of the stomach and intestines. In some cases, turkey bones may even puncture through the stomach and cause potentially fatal effects.

STUFFING– Dressing is often made with onions and garlic. These ingredients can be extremely toxic to dogs and cats. It’s best to avoid feeding any amount of stuffing to pets.

HAM — Ham and other pork products can cause pancreatitis, upset stomach, vomiting and diarrhea. Pork is also high in fat, which can contribute to obesity. Even a small amount of ham can contribute a large amount of calories to a small dog or cat’s diet.

MASHED POTATOES — While potatoes are safe for pets to eat, mashed potatoes usually contain butter and milk, which can cause diarrhea in some pets. Additionally, some recipes call for onion powder or garlic, which are toxic to pets.

SALADS WITH GRAPES/RAISINS — There are many salads served during the holidays that include grapes or raisins as an ingredient, from fruit salad, to waldorf salad, to ambrosia. However, grapes and raisins can be dangerous to your pets. Grapes can cause severe, irreversible and sometimes fatal kidney failure in dogs. Be sure to keep all dishes that include grapes and raisins away from pets.

CHOCOLATE DESSERTS — Chocolate is toxic to dogs and cats, yet dogs love the smell and taste of it. The darker the chocolate, the more toxic it is. Keep all chocolate desserts out of the reach of pets to prevent an emergency trip to the veterinarian.

I hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday season and Santa is good to you all.  I have been a good girl and asked Santa to bring me some tasty treats that won’t make my tummy hurt, and a squeaky yellow ball so I can find it in the grass.  I have the hardest time finding this green ball.  (Be sure and check out my previous blog on what colors dogs can see.)